Thursday, November 10, 2005

History Speaks

(I wrote this article October 30th, 2002)

As a magician, I have always tried to expand my knowledge, not just of my art, but of the history and mythology of my art as well.

Getting to meet and become friends with highly respected magicians has always been a treat. Magicians who can take the time to lecture at local clubs are always a special occasion and being able to spend even a few moments of private time with them are occasions to be remembered and treasured. They are the precious jewels of a magicians education.

So, it was with a sense of great anticipation that I waited for my friend Eugene Burger. I already had some history with Eugene, being one of those lucky enough to attend The Mystery School.

Eugene greeted me as a good friend and we spent several fun days together, focused on lectures and seminars for magicians in the area.

But as a special treat Eugene took me with him to visit Channing Pollock.

Wow. (For those of you who don't know, Channing pretty much created the modern Dove act. Every magician you've seen working with doves is using Channings creations and innovations.)

First off, Channing lives in a wonderful home on the California Coast where every window is a view on the ocean as it pounds the rocks not ten feet away. A place at least as magical as the person.

So for several hours I sat, saying little but never feeling left out, as Eugene and Channing renewed their friendship of many years and along the way brought me into their circle.

Interestingly enough both Eugene and Channing have a view which seems paradoxical when described but makes perfect sense when discussed. The best way I could describe it is "down to earth spiritualism". Both expressed views of believing in 'something greater' but also not buying the bullshit that seems so omnipresent in many religious and mystical beliefs.

Eugene describes himself as a skeptic, but holds no fear of discussing and questioning the nature of the universe, and as I sat there listening, it was clear that Channing has many of the same questions and just as much joy in exploring them.

So we sat in Channing’s kitchen, surrounded by floor to ceiling windows over looking a storm tossed ocean and discussed magic and philosophy. We told stories, though I had only a few to share while Eugene and Channing told many. I learned the thinking behind some of the more obscure bits of magic lore and the real story of how the vanishing bird cage was created and how Channing developed his dove toss.

It would take a while for me to lose that sense of awe from being in the presence of such incredible people, but by the time Eugene and I left, I felt that I had made a new friend in the world of magicians.

More recently I had the honor of hosting Lee Grable at my local club’s 5th Anniversary Dinner. As president of the club I felt it was a great honor to have him there. I probably don’t need to say this, but just in case, Lee held the prestigious Mantle of Magic. It is only given to one magician at a time. Dante gave it to Lee. Lee passed it on to Lance Burton.

As part of the festivities Lee got up and told stories of his own experiences in the world of magic. While Lee talked I listened, absorbing all that he had to say. His message was a simple one which can be summed up by saying “It’s not what you do, but who you are that makes you great.”

As Lee spoke I noticed that the younger members of the club fidgeted, anxious to get back to showing each other their latest purchases. It saddened me to think that these young kids were missing out on the wisdom Lee had to share. In the future, if they stick with magic I hope that they will remember that they did at least get to meet such a man.

I found this situation to be a rather powerful one for me. In my life time as a magician I missed out on seeing several great performers. When Doug Henning and Harry Blackstone Jr. passed on I was truly devastated. I never got to see either of these men perform live. So now I take very seriously every chance to watch and learn from those performers who are today’s legends.

I consider myself very fortunate to know the professionals I do now, but that to comes at a cost. I have noticed that when magicians get together sometimes the topic turns to who knows who. Sadly many small time magicians seem to think that who they know somehow makes them better then they are. Yet that kind of thinking never takes into account how good they might already be. As Lee tried to point out they forget that it's who they are, not who or what they know, that makes them special.

This kind of thinking also takes something away from the humanity of these people we hold in such high esteem. They have earned our respect and our admiration. They have earned their place in the pantheon of magic.

We should take advantage of every moment to listen to them and speak with them.

But we should also remember that they are human beings with hopes and dreams, happiness and sadness, and perhaps the greatest thing that we can do is give them their space and make ourselves their friends as much as we are their admirers.



Santiago
Enter a World of Elegant Magic
Santiago's Magic

No comments: