Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Why are some magicians like that?

I have a good friend who is a magician as well. He is very dedicated to creating something special and to sharing what he learns with people. I have been very lucky to benefit from his wisdom and his generosity.

Unfortunately not everyone can be so greatful or kind.

He recently contacted a full time professional who needed some serious help with his website. Basically in the area of spelling and grammar. He hasn't told me who this person is, but if it's the one I think it is, well, it needs help. Badly.

My friend was kind and suggested that this person review his site.

The response was full of venom and hate. So much so that my friend has had his own confidence shaken in what he does. This is not good.

Why are some magicians like that?

I have to wonder if there is something about our art that makes people act this way. We are so protective of our secrets that we become overly protective over everything we do.

There isn't anything wrong with this part of things. But some people can't tell the difference between constructive criticism and an attack and for some reason it seems like magicians are particularly susceptible to this.

I won't reveal the names of any of the above people. There is no point.

But I will say this much -- get to know who you are hiring if you can. Because if they are willing to treat others in their art this way you have no idea how they might treat you as a client.

Tim "Santiago" Converse
Enter a World of Elegant Magic
Santiago's Magic

No comments: